The ATO reserves the right to manually review an application where there is insufficient or incorrect information provided. The manual review process can take up to 28 days, during which time an ATO representative may contact you to clarify details or inform you of the issue at hand.
An application may be manually reviewed for any of the following reasons:
- TFNs were not supplied for all associates
- There are overseas associates involved (who may not have TFNs)
- Identification information for associates does not match ATO records, for e.g. date of birth, name etc.
- The company/sole trader/partnership already has an ABN – which may need to be reactivated
- The ATO may want to clarify your business activity
- There are incorrect details included, for e.g. wrong TFN
Can this process be expedited?
Only in limited circumstances. Generally, the ATO will not accept enquiries regarding an application within the first 20 days, unless they have already attempted to make contact with an associate.